Pharmacokinetic Study Evaluating Staccato® Alprazolam 1 mg Inhaler in Smokers Versus Non-Smokers
This is an open-label, non-randomized, single dose, pharmacokinetic study in 36 healthy adult male and female volunteers, including 18 smokers and 18 non-smokers. All subjects will be administered a single inhaled dose of Staccato alprazolam 1 mg via hand-held inhaler. Blood samples will be drawn for pharmacokinetic analysis. Eligible subjects are admitted to Phase 1 unit for up to 48 hours. Subjects will receive a post-study safety phone call 14 days(± 2 days) after dosing.
Study Start Date
April, 06 2018
Estimated Completion Date
- Drug: Staccato Alprazolam 1 mg
EngageTherapeutics, Inc. -- EPK-002
- These inclusion criteria (items 1-8) apply to all subjects, smokers and non-smokers: I. Healthy male and female subjects between the ages of21 to 50 years, inclusive. 2. Body mass index (BMI) >/= 18 and = 30 kg/m2, inclusive. 3. Able to speak, read, and understand English and are willing and able to provide written informed consent on an IRB-approved form prior to the initiation of any study procedures. 4. Willing and able to be confined to a clinical research facility for up to 48 hours (including 2 nights) and comply with the study schedule and study requirements. 5. Normal spirometry at screening as demonstrated by FEVI +/
- 80% of predicted and FVC +/- 80% of predicted. 6. Adequate veins, as assessed by the Investigator or Investigator's designee, that are suitable for the required number and frequency of PK blood draws in this study. 7. In otherwise good general health as determined by a complete medical history, physical examination, 12-lead electrocardiogram (ECG), blood chemistry profile, hematology, serology (HIV-l/2Ab, HBsAg, HCV Ab), and urinalysis at screening. 8. Female participants (if of child-bearing potential and sexually active) and male participants (if sexually active with a partner of child-bearing potential) who agree to use a medically acceptable and effective birth control method throughout the study and for one week following the end of the study. Smokers must meet the following inclusion criteria (items 9-10): 9. A history of smoking> 15 cigarettes/day currently and for at least the last 2 years. 10. Serum cotinine +/-500 ng/mL at Screening Visit I. Nonsmokers must meet the following inclusion criteria (items 11-12): 11. A history of never smoking> 5 cigarettes/day and not smoking at all for at least the last 2 years prior to Visit I. 12. Serum cotinine :o 40 ng/mL at Screening Visit I and a negative urine cotinine test at Visit 2 Day-I.
1. Treatment with an investigational drug within 30 days ( or within 5 half-lives of the
investigational drug, if>30 days) prior to Visit I.
2. Significant hepatic, renal, gastroenterologic, cardiovascular endocrine, neurologic
(including history of seizures or stroke), or hematologic disease.
3. Any acute illness in the 5 days prior to Visit 2.
4. Upper respiratory tract infection within 6 weeks of Visit 2 or bronchitis or pneumonia
within 6 months of Visit 2.
5. Use of a bronchodilator for the treatment of wheezing within 12 months of Visit I.
6. Diagnosis of an active or chronic pulmonary disease.
7. Lung resection or other pulmonary surgery within 12 months of Visit I.
8. A history of allergy or intolerance to alprazolam.
9. Use of any other prescription or nonprescription medication--with the exception of
acetaminophen, ibuprofen or ongoing doses of oral contraceptives or vitamins--within 5
days prior to study drug administration.
10. A history within the past 2 years of drug or alcohol dependence or abuse.
11. Positive test for alcohol or a positive urine screen for drugs of abuse at screening
12. A positive HIV test.
13. Breastfeeding or a positive pregnancy test at screening (female subjects).
14. Clinically significant ECG abnormality.
15. Hypotension or hypertension, at screening or baseline.
16. Poor veins in the opinion of the Investigator or the Investigator's designee such that
the participant is judged to likely have difficult venipuncture during the study.
17. Any other disease or condition, by history, physical examination, or laboratory
abnormalities that in the investigator's opinion, would present undue risk to the
subject, or may confound the interpretation of study results.
18. Participation in another clinical trial within 2 months of the beginning of the
present study, or blood donation or comparable blood loss (>350mL) within 2 months
before the present study.
21 Years to 50 Years
Accepts Healthy Volunteers
Accepts Healthy Volunteers
Study Locations and Contact Information (1)
|Clinilabs Research Unit - Eatontown, New Jersey||76.6 miles||study firstname.lastname@example.org|